TEAM / Staff
Co-Founder, Program Director – Skill Development
Hopes, Aspirations, Vision for DRIVE
Basketball is our way to connect with kids, but it’s way more than that.
My biggest motivation to start DRIVE was to be able to make a significant and lasting impact at the individual level — where it’s needed most. I interact with a ton of kids throughout the year, but with DRIVE, I’ll be spending time with a group that I rarely have an opportunity to train, inner-city kids – mentoring them, leading them and, hopefully, being a person they can look to for guidance or support in any area of their lives.
To positively influence someone else’s life and give them opportunities they may not otherwise have is really what DRIVE’s all about. It’s so inspiring to get to work with kids who have the potential to play at the highest level, who are both driven and willing to work hard to improve their game.
It’s even more inspiring when you get to watch them move to the next level as a player and as a person – especially in those cases when I was never sure that I had gotten through to them. I recently found out that a player I worked with 4-5 years ago is now playing college basketball and has written two speeches for his classes about me and what I taught him beyond basketball. It came as a huge and wonderful surprise.
Bottom line: when someone shows me that what I’m doing matters, that inspires me to do it more. It all goes back to making a positive impact at the individual level. It doesn’t get much better than that. It’s what DRIVE’s all about and it’s something I take very seriously.
Role at DRIVE
- Implement DRIVE’s vision through the creation and facilitation of programs to meet the needs of the youth we serve
- Explore and implement processes and activities to assist individuals with long-term learning and development skills
- Value and build relationships between DRIVE and community advocates and organizations such as the Milwaukee Running Rebels and the Boys and Girls Club of Milwaukee to ensure that our work is completely aligned with the needs of our community
- Mike’s philosophy is simple: basketball = life. His love for the game began at the young age of six. Playing from kindergarten through college, basketball has shaped his life and his career as an entrepreneur, coach, and motivational speaker
- Mike earned a Bachelor’s degree in psychology, concentration in Basketball Entrepreneurship, from UW-Stout. During his final year, he was awarded a scholarship to attend the Coach K and Duke University Leadership Conference in Durham, North Carolina
- As the owner and operator of Mike Lee Basketball since 2003, he has provided highly regarded training and instruction to over 10,000 athletes and coaches
- Mike has mentored and coached individuals who have gone on to play D1, NBA and internationally
- He has presented at numerous and varied coaching events, associations, and clinics, such as the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association Clinic, Basketball Coaches Association of New York Clinic, and the Iowa Basketball Coaches Association Clinic
- He’s offered support, instruction and coaching for national training camps and competitions, such as the Stephen Curry Skills Academy and Nike-sponsored academies.
- Mike played and coached basketball at UW-Stout from 2001 to 2006, helping the team achieve the best record in school history and earn the program’s first ever NCAA tournament birth.