TEAM / Staff
Co-Founder, Program Director – Strength and Conditioning
Hopes, Aspirations, Vision for DRIVE
At DRIVE, we don’t just focus on fundamentals. We aim higher. We customize strength and conditioning programs to meet individual needs, and we teach discipline and hard work. This paves the path to rewards. Ultimately, we aim to improve athletic performance while protecting from injury. We also aim to channel energy into something positive, one youth at a time.
In athletics, it’s crucial to develop adequate levels of strength, especially for inner-city kids. Our kids do not often understand the importance of a proper strength and conditioning program, and even if they did, they have no access to such programs, given the limited resources of their schools and communities. It is my desire to fill this gap.
I would absolutely love for this organization to spread across the country. The environment and situations kids are in here in Milwaukee are not unique to this city – they are in every city. Our connections with urban basketball organizations and national organizations will give us the credibility to implement our model nationally.
If that works, both it and all of us together, can make a really significant impact.
Role at DRIVE
- Implement DRIVE’s vision by creating and facilitating programs for the youth we serve, with an emphasis on strength and conditioning.
- Design strength and conditioning programs with adequate stress application and time for recovery.
- Teach self-regulation and utilize effective communication to engage youth for the long-term.
- Steve earned a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology, emphasis in Exercise Physiology, at UW-Milwaukee.
- He owns and operates Athlete Performance, LLC.
- He has trained several of Milwaukee area’s elite athletes through sport- specific strength and conditioning programs – ranging from basketball players for the NBDL, International leagues and NBA to NFL prospects for summer training camps.
- Steve served as an Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for Portland Trail Blazers from 2009-2010, working with All-star forward Brandon Roy and 1st Overall pick Greg Oden.
- He helped train University of Oregon Men’s basketball team of the Pac-10.
- He served as Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Milwaukee Bucks from 2006-2008.
- Steve served as a Performance Consultant for the Chinese National team, Junior National team and other Chinese Professional teams of the CBA at the United States Basketball Academy.
- He also worked with the Nike Hoops Summit, featuring USA Basketball Men’s Junior National Select Team and the World Select Team.
- Volunteer training for Men’s and Women’s Olympic sports teams